The difference between modernity and modernism is important. In what ways has modernism (as a way of thinking and behaving) been harmful?
1.How do cultural values change?
2. The difference between modernity and modernism is important. In what ways has modernism (as a way of thinking and behaving) been harmful?
3.How does culture influence your own thinking and behavior?
4. How has culture influenced warfare?
5.Eksteins names his book Rites of Spring, starts with a description of the Rite of Spring ballet, and ends with a chapter called Spring Without End. What is the common theme he is emphasizing in this way?
6. How would Eksteins explain why Europe destroyed itself in World War I?
7.What have you learned about culture from the readings in this course?
8. Why was Germany, rather than Britain or France, the nation where modernism flourished best?
9. Major problems for other students on past exams:
Vagueness, saying things like everything in the culture changed, without saying what changed. Some answers were so vague they could have been describing high school proms. Be specific – names, dates, events, etc. Without specifics, readers dont know whether you know the material or are blowing smoke to hide your ignorance.
Answer the question, not the set-up to the question. Example: Iowa is famous for growing corn. Describe two other products important to Iowas economy. The answer obviously will NOT be corn, but thats exactly what many students focus on and write about.
The class is about culture, but they totally ignore culture as a factor when explaining events. Eksteins, particularly is ignored.